Poor image quality with build 1.8.2.26

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM
After the last update the 'looks' of wabbitemu appear to have deteriorated badly.
In cutout skin mode, the whole skin looks jagged as if everything has been scaled to a factor slightly lower than 1.00. The Emulator window however has become fuzzy (anti-aliased fonts?), at any rate not as crisp as it used to be.
The windowed skin mode appears to be scalabe, which is nice for larger zoom factors if you need this. But the down side is that smaller zoom factors look ugly.
In windowed skin mode, I tried to find the best image quality - zoom factor 1.00 (?) - but when I then switched to cutout skin mode, I got the impression that the zoom factor was nudged down a bit, again resulting in an ugly image.
Developer
Mar 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Sorry for the delay in reply. There were a couple of issues here. One, to accommodate scaling, the skins sizes were doubled. This meant that all the skins scaled down by half for regular drawing. For the most part it looked fine for normal skins, with a little more blurriness for certain skewed texts on the 84 series. However for cutout mode, I couldn't use the same interpolation mode as on the normal skin, and it didn't end up looking as good. To fix cutout mode required a rewrite of a good chunk of drawing code (which I have done now). To fix blurry fonts on the 84 series required me to re-render a good chunk of the skin. In the process I redid parts of it to make it more accurate to the real thing.

Here's an album comparing the rendering of 1.7.2.11 to my latest builds: http://imgur.com/a/Ag8IS
If you'd like to test the latest version for yourself, I've uploaded it to: http://buckeyedude.com/Revsoft/Wabbitemu/Beta/Wabbitemu.exe

TL;DR: known issue, will be fixed soon.

Thanks,
BuckeyeDude
Mar 8, 2014 at 5:32 AM

Well Buckeye, it looks like you’ve nailed it.

I’ve fiddled with various sizes in windowed-mode as well as cutout skin mode and all is looking very good indeed.

Wonderful.

Stephan

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Hello,

I've noticed that screenshots (click-and-drag from wabbitemu to other applications) are in lower resolution than before. Is there any settings preference I can use to get higher resolution screenshots from wabbitemu, at least to that of the previous build (prior to 1.8.2.26)?

Thank you!
Developer
Mar 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Hello,

Good catch on the size change for dragging screenshots. I've fixed it so that the size respects the double display size screenshot setting. You can get the latest beta to test this change here: http://buckeyedude.com/Revsoft/Wabbitemu/Beta/Wabbitemu.exe

BuckeyeDude
Mar 26, 2014 at 6:42 AM
Thank you very much! The beta solved that problem very nicely!
Sep 11, 2014 at 7:30 AM
Triggered by another discussion where there was mention of support for the TI-84 C Plus rom (color + higher resolution), I decided to give the beta version another try.
I downloaded the ROM and the Emulator started in Cutout Skin mode showing the TI-84 C Plus.

When I tried using the emulator I noticed that my button clicks did not have the desired effect.
I switched off the Cutout mode and then the button clicks did work as expected.
I resized the window some and the buttons worked alright too.
Then I switched on the Cutout mode again and the button clicks did not work anymore.

When switching Cutout mode, the emulator skin changes position. Could it be that this transposition is not taken care of in catching button clicks?

Stephan
(on W8.1/64)